Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Stop the silliness

Vegemite crackdown fears roil expats.

It's illegal to bring Vegemite, that yeast spread Aussies so love, into the US, because it contains folate and the FDA has only approved folate as an additive in certain foods. Give me a break!

This is on the one hand so small a matter as to hardly seem worth getting roiled up about, but on the other hand, what business does the FDA have banning a food because it contains a freaking nutrient!

I've smelled Vegemite and that convinced me never to taste Vegemite, but if the Aussies want to bring their Vegemite in to the US, I say more power to them! Stores should be allowed to import and sell Vegemite so that expats can enjoy their favorite spread, and so that Americans can be exposed to this uniquely Australian .... um ... substance. (Can't say "treat;" sorry!)

What's really bizarre is that women are being told to make sure they get enough folate, because folate prevents spina bifida and anencephaly. Here's a handy folate source and it's freaking banned? Whatup with that?

FDA, get your head from out your butts! Free Vegemite!

9 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A word of advice - I visited this link to read your resume, and clicked on your profile. I am recruiting, but seeing these links to your other blogs concerns me. You should have separate usernames so as not to turn off other recruiters.

It is fine to have views, and I happen to agree with many of them, but posting them along with your resume may cost you job opportunities. It has already.

Good luck in the future.

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that was well said! I'm an Australian living in the US and had no idea it was illegal to bring vegemite into the US and have done so on many occasions! I'll be wary next time I try to do so - thank goodness I have enough to keep me going for a while! I just had a baby, and as I was - he too will be raised on vegemite! I'll continue bringing in vegemite - for my personal use - and play it dumb if ever stopped. But I must say that I will be frightened each time I have to pass those custom officials! Crikey!

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your brother says....."I have no idea if vegemite is illegal in Iraq. Maybe I'll ask one of the Aussies here on base. I just he wont try to shove his thumb up me butthole."

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger GrannyGrump said...

Hey bro! How'd you find me?

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Tora said...

Oh, didn't you know.. the FDA is like the vitamin hunting Gestapo. They only ban things that are good for you, as those items did not have a giant pharmaceutical company to make bribes for them.

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obama will fix the FDA, right after he signs FOCA.]

Yay Obama!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger ben said...

Would she want to be recruited by someone that would discount her as a candidate for her beliefs?

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger diddleymaz said...

Marmite too?
and you have spam comments

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Well said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home