Monday, October 24, 2005

A victim of the war on drugs

Richard Paey, a 46-year-old father of three, was sentenced to 25 years in a Florida prison for having obtained sufficient medicine to treat his chronic, debilitating pain. Irony of ironies, now that he's in prison he's provided with the very pain relief he was imprisoned for trying to obtain. Read all about it here.

This is a double-whammy. Not only does the "War on Drugs" put non-criminals in prison, it feeds the euthanasia monster by making illness and injury needlessly agonizing. Patients denied necessary medications are left to choose between agony and death.

If there's any justice in this world, the people who locked Paey up will face the same cruel dilemma he faced.

2 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger achromic said...

Grrrr talk about an issue close to my heart. I so don't know what I will do if I lose my health care right now and can't get the pain drugs I so despretly need. I have no choice right now... and I am so scared.... the USA is so unkind when it comes to this... I donno what I will do.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger GrannyGrump said...

Actually, you can probably get your meds free from the pharmaceutical company if you lose your coverage. I got my meds free when I was unemployed. My clinic had a social worker who handled all the paperwork for me, but you can always contact your pharmacist, physician, or the pharmaceutical company.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home