Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Elephants and lions on the Great Plains?

Fox News posted this story about how some folks are suggesting that we set up game preserves in the midwest and Texas with endangered non-native wildlife such as elephants and lions.

On the one hand, why not? It'd just be like a bigger version of the drive-through zoo. On the other hand, it'd be kind of hard to contain lions to a preserve. They'd be bound to find a way out and start munching cattle and sheep, if not the occasional person.

I've not formulated an opinion, though my leanings are slightly in favor. There are already more tigers in Texas than anyplace else in the world. If it preserves endangered species and doesn't threaten the balance, why not? Lions and tigers and elephants are much bigger than the rabbits that overran Australia.

Thoughts?

2 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger achromic said...

While I don't have a problem with the idea itself I often find that I have problems with the actual implemations of such places. I think they need to have a clear focus of what they are doing and why.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger GrannyGrump said...

I'm with you, achromic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home